If you manufacture a consumer product, you should seriously consider adding Amazon as a sales channel. Did you know that Amazon is now the world’s largest retailer? Offering your product on Amazon makes it possible for people who have never heard of your company or visited your website to find you.
One of our partner agencies has studied Amazon best practices and have helped several local companies launch their own products on Amazon. Here are 5 tips to help you get started.
5 TIPS FOR LAUNCHING ON AMAZON
1. Know Your Keywords: Amazon customers find products by typing keywords (product name, category, features, etc.) into the search bar. Therefore, build your product page with keywords that shoppers use, so that Amazon will include your product in search results. Create a list of your top 10 keywords by analyzing your own website traffic, customer reviews, and/or competitors’ pages. Incorporate these keywords into the title, bullet points, and product descriptions of your Amazon listing.
2. Anticipate Customer Questions: It is difficult for Amazon customers to contact you directly with questions. Therefore, your product page must stand alone. What questions do potential customers have about your product? What are the reasons they may be hesitant to try your product for the first time? Anticipate these questions and include responses in bullet points, product descriptions, and FAQs.
3. Have a Pricing Strategy: The lowest priced seller of a sku usually wins Amazon’s Buy Box. A retailer may try to sell below your manufacturer’s suggested retail price, negatively impacting you and other sellers. If you have retailers, consider whether they are allowed to sell your product on Amazon, your minimum advertised price policy, and how you will monitor and enforce your policies.
4. Deliver Exceptional Customer Service: Product reviews are one of the most important pieces of information that Amazon customers use to decide whether to buy. Therefore, be sure to ship on time, offer a high quality product, and address any issues right away, so that you earn high ratings.
5. Increase Number of Reviews: In addition to high quality reviews, Amazon’s algorithm benefits products that have many reviews. Therefore, develop a strategy to request reviews from customers who have purchased your product. Tactics include notes in packages, triggered emails, social media, and more. Amazon has strict rules on this subject, so be sure to review their policies online.
Selling online, while different from selling in a traditional brick and mortar store, still requires similar upfront homework on consumer behavior and competitive positioning. It’s important to scan the environment to understand the needs and wants in the marketplace, select your value proposition, and serve your consumer by delivery on their needs and wants. Better Brand Training and our partner agencies can help research, reach and sell your products online.